Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Will of Mary Lilly Read of York County, Virginia, 1722

Mary Lilly was the wife of Robert Read. Her will was proven 20 November 1722, in York County, Virginia. The copy was later damaged. She willed slaves to her heirs: an unnamed Molatto Boy, Will, and Hill, Sarah, ______lina, and others whose names are lost.

The following is a transcription of what remained legible:
In the name . . . parish in ye County of York . . . Sense and memory do make my . . . her and form following Imprs I give . . . y body to ye earth from whence it came to be . . . discretion of my Exr hereafter to be named . . . large silver Tankard to my loving son . . . and bequeath my small silver tankard and to . . . loving son Samuel Read Item I give . . . silver poringer one silver tumbler and 6 six silver spoons . . . son Francis Read Item I give and bequeath my . . . Tweedlum and 20 shillings to buy a Ring to my loving daught . . . th. Item I give and bequeath one Molatto Boy . . . ks to my loving son Samuel Read Item I give . . . negro boy named Will and one negro boy named Hill to . . . Francis Read to him and his heirs Item I give a . . . Granddaughter Mary Nelson one negro man named . . . and one negro woman named Sarah and one negro . . . lina to her and her heirs in case she// dies without he . . . ll is that her brother John and his heirs have ye said t . . . I give and bequeath to my grandson Wm. Nelson one T . . . n after my first debts and funeral expenses are . . . rden part of my estate which is not already given and bequ . . . ally divided among my three sons viz: John . . . Francis but in case either of them die without heirs . . . dying be equally divided among ye surviving Item I nominate . . . point my loving son John Read my whole and sol exr of this . . . and testament revoking all other wills heretofore by me made . . . ppoint and desire Mr Benj and Mr. Thomas Reade to be Trustees . . . will; in witness whereof I have set my hand 26 Nov 1722. Mary Reade. (York County Deeds, Orders, Wills etc., 16, 1720-1729, Reel 8, 165)